Software Maintenance EngineerApply Now Job ID 310675 Date posted 08/29/2018 Location: Nuremberg, DE
Maintenance Release Coordination Engineer
Nuremberg, Germany; other SUSE locations are possible too.
SUSE is a growing company, with great products, a culture that fosters openness and friendship, and where many opportunities exist. Our Maintenance Coordination team provides premium service and fast software updates to keep our world-wide customers‘ businesses safe and running. To support our Maintenance Coordination team we are looking for a Maintenance Release Coordination Engineer with a strong background in container technologies who is responsible for the maintenance of our enterprise server, cloud, and storage products. If you have a broad knowledge of Linux, containers, programming, packaging, and also good communication skills then give it a try and apply now!
What’s Important to Us
High technical quality with customer focus. Our customers rely on our products and services. Products and updates we ship to our customers have to be of the highest quality. A meticulous working-style and our ability to analyze code makes this possible.
Curiosity and motivation to learn. Endless opportunities to learn and different products allow employees to develop themselves and grow their knowledge in a huge variety of areas.
Collaboration. Working with and within international teams allows to connect to highly skilled engineers around the globe. Regular events like hackathons, workshops, and outdoor events help to easily build up relationships and friendship within and across teams.
Flexible environment. Our working hours are as flexible as possible to allow employees to work when they are most creative and productive.
What You’ll Do
- Deliver maintenance for our products with a lifetime of up to 13 years
- Help development teams to provide the maintenance service they need
- Support engineering teams that develop products using leading edge technologies to ensure maintainability at an enterprise level
- Review new products, features, and product changes
- Improve processes and tools
Experience We Want to See
- Excellence track record as system software developer, administrator, maintainer for a Linux operating system
- Proved experience with container technologies
- Fluent English, both spoken and written
- Programming skills in common scripting languages (Python, Perl, or Bash, . . . ) and native programming languages like C and C++
- Deep knowledge about software packaging technologies, like RPM, and the Open Build Service is a big plus
- SUSE Linux Enterprise Server, Cloud, Systems Management, and openSUSE product knowledge is a plus
What You’ll Work With
- Open Build Service (http://openbuildservice.org/, https://build.opensuse.org/)
- Lots of internal applications and scripts mainly written in Python
A Day at the Office
You enter the office and read an email from a sales engineer asking when his customer can expect a software update for the Apache webserver to be released. You check with the QA team the current progress of testing Apache and reply with an estimation to the sales engineer. After that you meet with colleagues from other teams to evaluate the impact of a requested version update for a postgreSQL. You find out that the newer version has a risk of an incompatibility with older 3rd party applications. You come up with a counter proposal that is compatible and satisfies the requester’s needs. Just before lunch, you review a couple of updates submitted by development teams. You categorize these updates by customer impact and translate their changelog entries into documentation which describes the changes from a customer perspective. You go for lunch with a team member to one of the restaurants nearby the office. As the place is popular amongst SUSE employees you run into colleagues from another team and have a conversation about the latest technologies developed in their area. After lunch you have a meeting with the QA team leads to check the current progress of testing, you point out some updates which need to be tested with a higher priority because they are required to fix severe bugs. In the afternoon, you realize that a problem which is usually found during testing by QA engineers could be checked at an earlier stage. That’s why you focus on improving the internal tools and automated checks. Your Python code is reviewed by a colleague immediately and you can deploy it to production before you leave the office.
SUSE, a pioneer in open source software, provides reliable, software-defined infrastructure and application delivery solutions that give enterprises greater control and flexibility. More than 25 years of engineering excellence, exceptional service and an unrivaled partner ecosystem power the products and support that help our customers manage complexity, reduce cost, and confidently deliver mission-critical services. The lasting relationships we build allow us to adapt and deliver the smarter innovation they need to succeed—today and tomorrow.
For more information, visit www.suse.com