Technical Support EngineerApply Now Job ID 311852 Date posted 11/21/2018 Location: Prague, CZ
Technical Support Engineer
We are growing our SUSE Global Support organisation and are currently seeking highly motivated Technical Support Engineers to provide technical support and problem resolution to our customers using SUSE Linux products and offerings. Our portfolio includes SUSE Linux Enterprise Server/Desktop, SUSE Linux High Availability Extension, SUSE Manager, SUSE OpenStack Cloud, SUSE Enterprise Storage, Container/Docker but to name a few of the exciting products and technologies we work with.
You will be joining a team of highly skilled Linux technical specialists providing our global SUSE customers with a 24/7 "follow the sun" support service. As a Senior Technical Support Engineer at SUSE your key duties and responsibilities will include:
- Working as a backline/second line support engineer, out of our Prague office.
- Focussing on troubleshooting challenging, complex, critical, and sensitive customer issues. Recreating complex issues inhouse.
- Collaborating efficiently with your Frontline/Field Technical Support colleagues, both locally in Prague and globally across locations including Nuremberg, US and Singapore. Acting as a mentor.
- Engaging with development on code fixes and with product management on feature requests.
- Learning and accumulating knowledge on new technologies, and act as a multiplier.
- Contributing in escalation conference calls with customers.
- Availability to occasionally be on call after hours and on weekends.
- Occasional travel to customer locations may be required in order to resolve technical issues. Attending and contributing on customer facing conferences.
The Candidate Profile
We are looking for motivated and self-driven technical support professionals who have a passion for providing first-class customer service. You will be working in a complex and diverse technical environment and we are looking for candidates who have a high desire to learn new products and technologies to enhance your current skillset.
Your existing experience does include:
- Experience of working within a Technical support/Linux Services environment, which should include some experience in technical leadership and 2nd line support role.
- A core ethos of doing whatever is necessary to keep the customer happy.
- A strong sense of responsibility, self-motivation and the ability to prioritize and organize multiple, simultaneous workloads.
- The ability to appropriately handle tense and stressful customer situations regarding service outages and production affecting issues.
- The ability to assess the customer situation and select the best go-forward-path indipendently.
- Highly developed interpersonal communication skills, in both oral and written form.
- Experienced in providing a timely and accurate response and resolution to customer issues over the phone or electronically.
- The ability to work efficiently in a dynamic and collaborative environment with a team of highly skilled and motivated engineers.
- The ability to adapt to new technologies.
- The ability to mentor peers, prepare and deliver trainings to the technical teams within SUSE.
- The ability to produce high-quality technical documentation.
- All candidates should be fluent in English (written and verbal) with additional European language skills highly desirable, particularly German.
Minimum technical qualifications should include:
- A Bachelor's degree in Information Systems, Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, or equivalent work experience.
- Knowledge level at least on LPI 2 level or equivalent, preferably certified.
- A number of years of experience in a senior technical support role, or as a senior system administrator for Linux OS, preferably SUSE or Red Hat.
- Specialist in two or more of the below areas:
- Storage technologies (like SAN, multipathing, iSCSI, LVM)
- High Availability / Clustering technologies
- Networking concepts and protocols
- OpenStack Cloud
- Non-x86_64 architectures.
- Reading and understanding source code (C, bash).
- Experience with maintaining SAP highly desirable but not essential.
SUSE, a pioneer in open source software, provides reliable, software-defined infrastructure and application delivery solutions that give enterprises greater control and flexibility. More than 25 years of engineering excellence, exceptional service and an unrivaled partner ecosystem power the products and support that help our customers manage complexity, reduce cost, and confidently deliver mission-critical services. The lasting relationships we build allow us to adapt and deliver the smarter innovation they need to succeed—today and tomorrow.
For more information, visit www.suse.com