SUSE Senior Technical Support Engineer, Speciality: SLES for SAPApply Now Job ID 309786 Date posted 11/10/2017 Location: Nuremberg, Bayern
We are growing our SUSE Global Support organisation and are currently seeking highly motivated Technical Support Engineers to provide technical support and problem resolution to our customers using SUSE Linux products and offerings. Our portfolio includes SUSE Linux Enterprise Server/Desktop, SLES for SAP applications, SUSE Linux High Availability Extension, SUSE Manager, SUSE OpenStack Cloud, SUSE Enterprise Storage, Container/Docker but to name a few of the exciting products and technologies we work with.
You will be joining a team of highly skilled Linux technical specialists. Your main responsibility will be to provide support for the „SLES for SAP“ technologies, by collaborating with our partner SAP. You will be working on SUSE Linux issues that are forwarded by SAP Support to SUSE. You are responsible for driving those product related technical issues towards a solution.
As a Technical Support Engineer at SUSE your duties and responsibilities will include:
- Working as a backline/second line support engineer, out of our Nuremberg office.
- Focussing on troubleshooting challenging, complex, critical, and sensitive customer issues. Recreating complex issues, in-house.
- Collaborating efficiently with SAP active Global Support as well as with SUSE Technical Support colleagues, locally in Nuremberg and globally across locations including Prague, US and Singapore.
- Engaging with development on code fixes, and with product management on feature requests.
- Learning and accumulating knowledge on new technologies, and act as a multiplier.
- Contributing in escalation conference calls with customers.
- Occasional travel to customer locations may be required in order to resolve technical issues.
- Availability to occasionally be on call after hours and on weekends.
The Candidate Profile
We are looking for motivated and self-driven technical support professionals who have a passion for providing first-class customer service. You will be working in a complex and diverse technical environment and we are looking for candidates who have a high desire to learn new products and technologies to enhance your current skillset.
Your existing experience includes:
- Experience of working within a Technical support/Linux Services environment, which should include some experience in technical leadership and 2nd line support role
- A core ethos of doing whatever is necessary to keep the customer happy
- A strong sense of responsibility, self-motivation and the ability to prioritize and organize multiple, simultaneous workloads
- The ability to appropriately handle tense and stressful customer situations regarding service outages and production affecting issues
- The ability to assess the customer situation and select the best go-forward-path indipendently
- Highly developed interpersonal communication skills, in both oral and written form
- Experienced in providing a timely and accurate response and resolution to customer issues over the phone or electronically
- The ability to work efficiently in a dynamic and collaborative environment with a team of highly skilled and motivated engineers
- The ability to adapt to new technologies
- The ability to mentor peers, prepare and deliver training to the technical teams within SUSE
- The ability to produce high-quality technical documentation
- All candidates should be fluent in English and German (written and verbal). French language skills will be a plus
Minimum technical qualifications should include:
- A Bachelor's degree in Information Systems, Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, or equivalent work experience
- Knowledge level at least on LPI 2 level or equivalent, preferably certified
- A number of years of experience in a senior technical support role, or as a senior system administrator for Linux OS, preferably SUSE or Red Hat
- Specialist in two or more of the below areas:
- High Availability / Clustering technologies
- Networking concepts and protocols
- Storage technologies (like SAN, multipathing, iSCSI, LVM)
- Active Directory / DFS / Windows Server administration
- Non-x86_64 architectures
- Reading and understanding source code (C, bash)
- Experience with maintaining SAP software highly desirable but not essential