Senior Software Engineer - SUSE Container as a Service PlatformApply Now Job ID 309824 Date posted 11/10/2017 Location: Nuremberg, DE
Senior Software Engineer - SUSE Container as a Service Platform
Location: Germany, Nuremberg or Home Office
At SUSE we're building the next-generation container orchestration platform based on Kubernetes, and are looking for a Senior Software Engineer to join us as part of the SUSE Kubernetes Core team.
Specifically, we are working to make the SUSE Container as a Service Platform the most easy to use and administer Kubernetes distribution out there. To achieve this, we make use of many open source projects, including Kubernetes, Salt, Docker, Ruby on Rails and more. This is a great opportunity to build highly available, micro‐service based distributed systems utilizing some of the latest cutting‐edge container technologies.
At SUSE, we're strongly committed to open source and we contribute to numerous free and open projects and initiatives. We embrace and believe in the open source innovation model and the open source business model. As a member of the SUSE Kubernetes Core team you will have the opportunity to contribute to Kubernetes, Salt and various other open source projects. You will work together with the teams as SUSE and the open source communities for these projects and strive to continuously advance the state of the art to meet customer requirements.
We're looking for someone who loves to dabble in everything from automation, to systems engineering, to operations – someone who enjoys working on complex problems, and isn’t afraid to span the stack from network architecture all the way to coding on Kubernetes. You should have an analytical mind, experience with basic computer science concepts and best practices, and a keen interest to learn new things.
Curiosity and good teamwork are two of the values that drive us as an engineering team. If you are passionate about these values too, you are likely a great fit for us. As a team, we're constantly finding new ways to improve ourselves. We pride ourselves on our communication and teamwork - we're all in this together!
- Passionate about programming and creating excellent software which meets the goals of its users.
- Team player. Autonomous and results oriented work style.
- Proficient in English.
- Understanding Open Source development processes and culture.
- You're passionate about continuous integration, test driven development and are used to write automated tests for your code.
- You know the obstacles of actual deployment and how to handle them.
- Understanding of the Linux Operating System and its low level interfaces (e.g. C, POSIX).
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science (or equivalent) and 5+ years related work experience
- Ability to grok complex problems, break them down into component parts, and come up with correct, elegant solutions to them
- Experience with open source development of any kind
- Experience with Docker, Linux Containers
- Experience working in globally distributed teams
- Experience with container orchestration engines; Kubernetes would be a plus
- Experience with Cloud Computing (OpenStack, AWS, or Azure) and/or distributed systems
- Experience with Bare Metal clusters (PXE, DHCP, Networking)
- Experience with Go, Ruby or Python
- Experience with Ruby on Rails or other web frameworks
- Experience with Configuration Management tooling (Salt, Ansible, Chef)
- Experience with Hashicorp terraform
- Experience working with and architecting complex distributed systems
- Direct contact with representatives of free/open source software projects worldwide.
- Regular hack weeks(*) and workshops on the company, department, and team levels.
- Five weeks vacation. (**)
- Contributions to pension insurance or capital life insurance. (**)
- Other common employee benefits (food coupons, health care, sports and cultural activities). (**)
- Free beverages. (**)
- We know how to party.
- We celebrate success.
(*) A hack week is a week long sprint permitting developers to work on something entirely of their own design or wishes as long as it isFOSS-related.
(**) Reference for the example benefits is the office in Germany. They may vary across hiring locations.
SUSE, a pioneer in open source software, provides reliable, interoperable Linux, cloud infrastructure and storage solutions that give enterprises greater control and flexibility. More than 20 years of engineering excellence, exceptional service and an unrivaled partner ecosystem power the products and support that help our customers manage complexity, reduce cost, and confidently deliver mission-critical services. SUSE is also an active member of many open source communities, such as the openSUSE Project, OpenStack, Ceph, OpenNFV, OpenHPC, and more, to help drive collaboration among global communities to help solve some of the world’s most challenging technology issues.
At SUSE, we set challenging goals for ourselves, then work to meet, and often exceed them. How far can you go with extraordinary colleagues at your side?
For more information, visit www.suse.com