Program Manager - Developers EngagementApply Now Job ID 309776 Date posted 11/10/2017 Location: Nuremberg, DE
Program Manager - Developers Engagement
Location: Nuremberg, any other SUSE office in Germany or home office out of Germany
Position Type: Full-time/regular
This position reports to the Director Product Management.
You may have heard that with 19,000+ global customers, SUSE is helping enterprises world-wide in their evolution of IT infrastructures. You probably know that we count many hundred developers among our colleagues, in addition to thousands of Open Source developers in our ecosystems. But did you realize that SUSE first provided a Software Development Kit thirteen years ago? And that the guy who is responsible for product strategy hacks and is a contributor to and maintainer of several key Open Source projects (in his evenings)?
If this sounds like an interesting environment, it is! And if you enjoy combining your knowledge of Developers in the many facets of that word (Open Source projects, developers at ISVs, Enterprise developers,…) with sound knowledge of program and/or product management, and a keen business sense, turns out we are looking for a “Head of Developer Programs”.
In that role you will closely work with our product managers, our ISV engineering team, various individuals and teams in our engineering organization and the openSUSE project, and, yes, marketing/PR/AR as well. And of course engage with customers and partners. And you will manage a small (but growing) team focusing on the creation and execution of programs for and initiatives around the various developer constituencies.
- You will define and deliver a program/programs to attract developers (think ISVs, Enterprises,…) as future SUSE customers
- Engage with our colleagues focusing on openSUSE, partners, and enterprise customers in areas such as alliances, sales, product management, marketing, services, engineering, etc.
- Maintain up-to-date knowledge of our own and competitive offerings and strategies, customer and industry needs and trends.
- Identify areas of competitive differentiation and propose novel programmatic and individual actions and initiatives (SUSE in the Windows Subsystem for Linux being a successful example).
- Work closely with the groups touching customers, Open Source developers, and partners to learn and spread the message. (If you wondered, yes, that includes participating at relevant events.)
- Help those that help us communicate things define and communicate messaging in your areas. Oh, and be a spokesperson yourself!
- Serve as strong advocate of developers in everything we do.
- You will constantly balance constraints and resources and juggle priorities and tasks.
- Masters or equivalent experience, strong preference on combination of formal business training and solid technical understanding across relevant areas.
- Proven practical experience as Program Management and/or Product Management involving actual “ownership” of programs, products, or key aspects thereof.
- Strong communications, presentation and interpersonal skills, both in “same room” settings as well as over phone, mail, and instant messaging, across oceans and cultures.
- Relate to geeks as well as to suits (and mingle well in either case, building rapport and talking both tech and biz lingo). – Some travel required, including international locations and events, but not crazily much.
- Ability to work as part of a geographically dispersed team across continents with key colleagues and management functions 9 hours apart.
- Self-motivated, ability to work independently and as a team member.
- Experience building and maintaining successful relationships; and leadership: you will need to manage a lot, some with, more so without positional power.
- Practical experience with developer programs.
- Open Source background (one way or the other).
- Familiarity with Linux or similar systems.
- Team leadership (or other forms of managing people).
- Social media or marketing experience.
SUSE, a pioneer in open source software, provides reliable, interoperable Linux, cloud infrastructure and storage solutions that give enterprises greater control and flexibility. More than 20 years of engineering excellence, exceptional service and an unrivaled partner ecosystem power the products and support that help our customers manage complexity, reduce cost, and confidently deliver mission-critical services. SUSE is also an active member of many open source communities, such as the openSUSE Project, OpenStack, Ceph, OpenNFV, OpenHPC, and more, to help drive collaboration among global communities to help solve some of the world’s most challenging technology issues.
At SUSE, we set challenging goals for ourselves, then work to meet, and often exceed them. How far can you go with extraordinary colleagues at your side?
For more information, visit www.suse.com