Engineering Director for the Enterprise Cloud (Flexible Location)Apply Now Job ID 311861 Date posted 10/31/2018 Location: Nuremberg, DE
Engineering Director for the Enterprise Cloud
Location: Global Location
SUSE, world's fastest-growing, enterprise Linux company, a pioneer in open source software, provides reliable, interoperable data center solutions that help enterprises increase agility, manage complexity, and reduce cost.
We are looking for an Engineering Director for the Openstack Core development department. The location of this role is a worldwide location. The teams in this department are responsible for the most modern cloud technologies and the corresponding enterprise solutions, focused on our OpenStack based IaaS solution. A crucial part of the daily work, the teams have a very strong Open Source focus, increasing SUSE's contributions in all relevant upstream communities
In this role, you and your teams will work closely with Product Management, Sales, Marketing, and other development groups to define, develop and grow our solutions for the next generation data center.
The Director of this department must be seen as highly credible, able to interact very actively within SUSE, bridging between developers anchored deep in the open source communities, geeks, team managers and executives.
In this position your responsibilities include
- Lead by example by empowering the employees, by being a role model, by mentoring and coaching and by giving your management team responsibility and the opportunity to grow
- Forster a culture of open minded people, with a passion for open source and innovation, caring for the needs of our growing customer base.
- Drive the development of the products in your department, ensuring a timely delivery, high quality while being flexible to adapt to a fast changing market
- Effectively build and grow your organisation, by supporting your teams in recruiting and hiring
- Responsively manage your budget
- Hands-on leadership skills with a track record of building and managing world-class engineering teams and establish credibility with smart engineers quickly.
- A keen sense of business priorities, and the ability to guide others to understand and meet the technical objectives resulting from them
- Experience in working across organizational boundaries, integrating input and feedback from multiple stakeholders within the company, including product management, support, sales, marketing and other functions
- Strong quality focus
- Solid technical expertise and background in Linux, Open Source and technologies to understand the competitive landscape and to guide product and component development
- Solid understanding of the cloud technology landscape, familiar with private and public cloud solutions, DevOps and modern development trends
- Excellent communication skills, with the expectation to represent your department to internal and external audiences. Fluent English is mandatory, both written and spoken.
Preferred skills and personal traits
- A passion for people
- Solid understanding of the Open Source business models
- Solid understanding of the full range of development methodologies, with a passion for agile development.
- Open for a multi-cultural work environment with nationals from all continents.
- Fearless but diligent towards changes
SUSE, a pioneer in open source software, provides reliable, interoperable Linux, cloud infrastructure and storage solutions that give enterprises greater control and flexibility. More than 20 years of engineering excellence, exceptional service and an unrivaled partner ecosystem power the products and support that help our customers manage complexity, reduce cost, and confidently deliver mission-critical services. SUSE is also an active member of many open source communities, such as the openSUSE Project, OpenStack, Ceph, OpenNFV, OpenHPC, and more, to help drive collaboration among global communities to help solve some of the world’s most challenging technology issues.
At SUSE, we set challenging goals for ourselves, then work to meet, and often exceed them. How far can you go with extraordinary colleagues at your side?
For more information, visit www.suse.com